• Loc: Torino

08-06-21 08.10

Tutto molto interessante! emo
  • toniz1
  • Membro: Expert
  • Risp: 3419
  • Loc: Verona

08-06-21 09.03

concordo... grazie per avermi fatto conoscere una cosa nuova...
I Doors li ho ascoltati e ho sempre fatto una discreta difficoltà a capire alcuni brani... ora capisco perché emoemoemoemo
  • MicTastiera
  • Membro: Senior
  • Risp: 343

09-06-21 01.08

@ giosanta
Qual'è la tonalità originale di questo celebre brano? Magari è normale me ne ho trovate piu versioni, tutte a firma Doors.
Grazie.
Ciao,
Senti qua, te lo spiega Manzarek in persona:
Video
Confermato Am, interessante la spiegazione con il circolo delle quinte e qualche richiamo a Bach! (Al minuto 6:21, non so se il link punta lì)

Al minuto 5:58 trovi anche lo spartito dell'intro.
  • MicTastiera
  • Membro: Senior
  • Risp: 343

09-06-21 01.41

@ zaphod
paolo_b3 ha scritto:
ma la minchiata a mio modesto parere è modulare sull'ultimo accordo dell'intro, io i bemolli in chiave li avrei messi all'inizio della strofa, mi pare avrebbe avuto più senso.

sono d'accordo!

Riguardo al rallentamento che porta ad avere la tonalità quasi mezzo tono sotto, la storia ha dell'incredibile. Mi sono documentato un po' (non lo avevo mai fatto) e non sembra essere una cosa voluta: il singolo 45 giri era a velocità (e pitch) normale. La versione dell'album, invece, era più lenta, ma a quanto pare non se ne accorse nessuno! Non il produttore, non Robby Krieger (il chitarrista).
Qui un estratto della trattazione più completa che ho trovato finora:

Doors engineer Bruce Botnick explains: "...One of the most interesting things about going back and revisiting the original tracks was that we found little gems and mysteries. The most startling discovery was finding out that the album, as it has existed on the street for the past 40 years, is running slow and off-key--flat, to be exact. It came to my attention in early 2003 [!!] via an e-mail from Michael Hicks, Professor of Music at Brigham Young University. After much investigation and speculation, professor Hicks came to the conclusion that something was not quite right...

..."What I determined was the following: When the album was mixed at Elektra studios in New York, either the 4-track playback recorder was running slow, or the stereo 2-track was running fast. In those days we recorded and mixed on Ampex & Scully tape recorders. The tension system was such that when a full reel of tape was on the left side of the recorder, known as the supply side, it would run at something approximating accurate speed. When the situation was reversed, where the large load was on the take-up side, the recorder would slow down because of the mechanical braking system, and this would cause the mix to progressively run slower. So, things could go flat or sharp depending on what part of the tape the mix came from."

Imagine that! Such things elude even the trained ears of a studio engineer for over 35 years--and only when someone else points it out to him, a music professor having studied sheet music to the song as well as video- and audio-taped performances of Light My Fire in preparation for a conference lecture. The original 45 single version, however, was in the correct pitch.

Botnick's explanation above comes from the liner notes to the 40th anniversary speed-corrected reissue of the Doors first album. I grew listening to Doors music, but now when I listen to older versions of the Doors first and second albums, the songs sound sluggish, groggy, whereas the speed-corrected versions sound punchier, more vibrant.
Aneddoto molto interessante Zaphod, thanks meritato!

PS: quando "tiravo giù" i pezzi da gggiovine (diciamo anni 90) usavo il walkman, la cassetta poteva essere una copia della copia, non ho mai trovato un pezzo esattamente intonato emo, senza la regolazione fine sulla tastiera non so come avrei fatto... Di certo io all'epoca non me ne potevo accorgere...